In my quest for the perfect bags, which seems to be a never-ending quest, I have been looking at plenty of styles and sizes, and learning a lot along the way! My sister was kind enough to provide to me an overflowing box of upholstery fabrics she found while cleaning up and clearing out during their move. Not only did my cats love acquiring so much free fabric, I did too! I love using upholstery fabric for bags of all sorts, and jackets too, like this one.
So using my Graphics App, I drew up my plans for another tote bag, smaller than my last one, and went through the upholstery fabric box to find the perfect fabric to repurpose into a tote bag.
I pulled out my Singer 421G for this heavy duty job. I used a lightweight fusible interfacing on my inner lining fabric to add a bit of shape and a fusible fleece on my outer fabric to add a bit of soft cushioning and shape.
Fusible fleece – and a peek at the striped fabric I chose from the upholstery fabric box!
Perhaps you read last week about my trashed (store-bought) Tote bag and the start of my journey to replace it? If you missed it, you can read Part I here!
I’ve been busy this week, learned a lot, and ended up with a great Tote bag – despite the “help” offered to me by My Feline Family Members!
I finished off my lining by measuring and sewing in the corners.
I think I’ve already mentioned that I need to replace my Tote bag. The vinyl is cracking at the corners and on the straps. I have decided to strip what zippers and buckles I can from this one to ensure no waste … but the rest of it is too worn.
My family, friends and co-workers have heard that I like working with repurposed denim and other repurposed fabrics to make my bags. They all kindly gift me with fabric and notions they find! For this Tote bag I will be using an almost never worn pair of jeans that a co-worker has given me. They are large so I have lots of fabric to work with! (Thank you, Linda R!) Continue reading
I have really been enjoying this project! My inspiration was the Sallie Tomato Zippy Crossbody Bag. I started it last post here and finished it just this week.
There weren’t many details to finish it off. Let me show you how I did it …
I used to buy more bags than clothes. Every time I walked past a bag shop I would stop in. After “just stopping in” a few days in a row, I’d finally buy what I had been looking at. Now that I think about it, I pretty much always bought bags with the same “insides” but with a different style outside.
I haven’t bought a handbag for myself, I think, since I started my RTW fast in January 2015. I not only broke the clothes shopping habit, I also broke the bag buying habit!
I have been scouting around for a me-made replacement. I bought this pattern from Sallie Tomato. Although I haven’t tried the pattern yet, I love the look of it! It looks almost exactly like what I usually bought. One zippered pocket each for my bus pass, my keys, my wallet and phone, and one big enough for my iPad. Oops! It’s missing the space for my iPad.
No problem! I’ll just figure out a way to add another pouch on the backside of this Sallie Tomato bag … um … hopefully!
Perhaps you have seen these photos on my Instagram account? It seems I can’t crochet in peace – Simon will steal my ball of yarn away and Sophie will play with the length of yarn. This calls for a simple, but necessary project!
Perhaps you have seen this advertisement on Facebook or Instagram? This is an excellent idea, unfortunately I couldn’t get past the upside down trees on the zipper side of the bag.
So I decided to make my own.
Last weekend started out as a busy weekend and turned into a challenging week, but let me show you what I did!
I am still working on my sister’s dress – part of my “Sister’s Sewing Project”. She would like this dress, in this 100% cotton border print and I am using this pattern, Butterick B6089 (sorry for the flash glare).
And I’m certainly not one to waste recycled denim! So let’s make another bag. This one is not quite big enough to hold my iPad, not like the last one I made. This one seemed to go together quicker too! Perhaps it wasn’t as “fancy” or perhaps I’m actually getting used to throwing them together?!?
Again, I started by sewing my strips together, pressing them, ironing on the fusible interfacing, and trimming the two outer bag walls to the right size.
Back again! To recap last week’s post … I wanted to make myself a 100% recycled denim bag, using denim strips like those bags I saw on Pinterest. Last week I cut up my denim jeans, pieced and sewed the strips together and fused on the interfacing for my outer bag walls. I sewed the pockets and the zipper pocket on my bag lining. I sewed the bag strap. I did my topstitching – I love topstitching and Amber, my Singer 421G was a work horse!
This week, I continued on. I prepped the opening zipper, cutting it to the right length and topstitching the zipper tabs on the ends. I switched from the brown zipper to this blue one as it fit around my iPad just right.
I was trying to think of an eye-catching, mysterious title for my blog post. I couldn’t. I have too been immersed in bag making lately – sewing creatively, instead of blogging creatively!
The only other handbags I’ve made I posted about here and here. I made one of them for my sister – she’s seems to be happy with it. I made her’s by copying something she already had.
This time I wanted to make a handbag for myself out of 100% recycled materials, specifically denim. I have been collecting a few images on my Pinterest and I’m quite inspired by this recycled denim Chobe Bag with the denim strips sewn together.