… this is Happiness!
It’s Frocktober! A while ago I received my Sewaholic Yaletown pattern in the mail and knew I had to sew it up with my Batic 100% rayon purchased during my shopping trip to Vancouver! My dress is done now, just in time, and I am very pleased with it.
This pattern was very straightforward, a quick dress, and a lovely style! I couldn’t resist cutting out the smaller size bodice though so I could test out my bodice sloper and pattern block. I ended up adding one inch to the front bodice piece on the centre line and a 1/2 inch on the back bodice centre line, to bring it up to my size, so of course I had to add to the front and back neck facings too. I just had to monkey with the pattern, the only way to understand and learn fitting, I figure!
My french curve was perfect for drawing in the extra inch on the curved front facings. And I love my lip edge ruler. The perfect thing for measuring, cutting out fabric, and checking grain lines!
Of yes, before I forget… How can you tell it is time to pack up for the evening? And the answer is:
When you start sewing like this….
I didn’t stray from the pattern instructions…. much… I did put in the waistband elastic a little different. I sewed the bodice and skirt of the dress together at the waist line, then I sewed on to the inside of my skirt (only) a casing to run my elastic through. This made my top more blouson-y. (is that a word?)
(I lay my dress out, focused my camera and found Simon getting really comfortable… what’s new?!)
Another deviation from the instructions, I hemmed up the sleeves with single fold bias tape, to put in some body into the fabric edge. I also hemmed the bottom of my dress with seam binding for the same reason.
I also sewed shut the wrap top before I finished off the bodice. Made good use of my 1/4″ seam foot to sew around the wrap top edge too!
It was raining buckets this morning but by the time I finished sewing the sun came out and dried everything up! No rain! I am happy I can still take advantage of photos in our back yard before the rainy days come again and I am stuck taking photos inside!
So here are my backyard shots of my new hair-do and my new dress! Happiness!
Next project please! And happy sewing to you!