I am almost finished my #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap dress, which you might have read about last week. Due to some careful pattern/stripe matching I am happy with how things are turning out.
This Sewaholic pattern, the Yaletown, has been a joy to work with. This is my second Yaltetown, my first one was made with a woven fabric, not a knit. So second time around, sewing it up has gone pretty smoothly. The only changes I made to this pattern, just like the first time it was made, was to make the bodice slightly larger as I love the loose, comfortable feel of it. I also lengthened the bodice just an inch.
I’m not sure how it happened but I did manage to have a closely matching thread in my stash!
Perhaps you remember from last week that I asked for some help in choosing my fabric for the #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap Dress Challenge? Well I have my answer now, thank you Kind Readers! It was a pretty close race!
First choice, although it was close, was … the blue Chevron! (for lack or a better description)
Second choice by just 3 votes was … the orange Chevron!
So I have decided to sew both fabrics up … with few slight changes …
We had a lovely Easter long weekend here – the weather was even acceptable! I hope you had a lovely Easter too.
I didn’t get much accomplished though, but I did manage to browse through some sewing blogs and IG feeds. I discovered @rocco.sienna @sewsarahsmith and @sewing_in_spain have organized #sewtogetherforsummer on IG again! I think this year I’m going to organize myself and my sewing and join in!
Last year the theme for #sewtogetherforsummer was Shirt dresses. I didn’t manage to sew up a Shirt dress, but I have been collecting Shirt dress patterns ever since.
I also managed to recently buy some lovely Shirt dress fabric, 3 meters of 100% rayon. I’m one step closer!
This year I am not missing #sewtogetherforsummer. If you would like to read more about #sewtogetherforsummer you can check out all the details here, but basically:
a. I have to sew a Wrap dress; and
b. by June 21st, I have post it on Instagram, tagging and following properly, of course.
I’ve had this striped fabric in my stash since my visit to my sister a summer or two ago. It’s a heavier weight knit than what I usually have and I quite like it. The red stripe is quite bright too, which brings the grey, blue and black to life for me.
I had always planned to make this skirt, Vogue 1292, a “Today’s Fit” by Sandra Betzina, and I purchased this striped fabric for that sole purpose.
But you might already know from personal experience how easy it is to get led astray by fabrics and patterns. Continue reading
Perhaps you read last week about my trashed (store-bought) Tote bag and the start of my journey to replace it? If you missed it, you can read Part I here!
I’ve been busy this week, learned a lot, and ended up with a great Tote bag – despite the “help” offered to me by My Feline Family Members!
I finished off my lining by measuring and sewing in the corners.
I think I’ve already mentioned that I need to replace my Tote bag. The vinyl is cracking at the corners and on the straps. I have decided to strip what zippers and buckles I can from this one to ensure no waste … but the rest of it is too worn.
My family, friends and co-workers have heard that I like working with repurposed denim and other repurposed fabrics to make my bags. They all kindly gift me with fabric and notions they find! For this Tote bag I will be using an almost never worn pair of jeans that a co-worker has given me. They are large so I have lots of fabric to work with! (Thank you, Linda R!) Continue reading
… and I found the perfect buttons for my last project. But before I show them to you, let me show you what I made with the remnants of my paisley Topaz knit. I had some of this lovely fabric – 85% polyester, 10% rayon, 5% spandex – left over, just enough. I think I have made a few of these McCalls tops before – one of the other ones I made is here.
Fresh off the Day and Night Dress Challenge, Coffee and Cocktails, I’m headed to Lisbon…
… the Lisbon Cardigan by Itch to Stitch, that is.
I cut out my pattern pieces and fabric with the help of Sophie!
I love this knit fabric, a “shades of grey” (and black) paisley Topaz knit, 85% polyester, 10% rayon, 5% spandex. Others seem to like it too! I have two co-workers who have RTW cardigans in variations of grey paisley knit – that’s why I knew I had to have one too!
I did it! I completed The Day and Night Dress Challenge organized by Elizabeth Made This! You can read about her Challenge details here. I completed my Day dress – my “Coffee” dress last week. I used New Look 6803 and this 100% rayon. It was an easy pattern and I would happily make it again.
I finally had a chance to take some photos. It is too cold outside still so we are stuck with these inside shots.
Where has the week gone! We had a holiday on Monday (“Family Day”), which I spent watching movies and sewing … then it was back to work and not knowing what day it was – pure chaos!
But I have finished 1/2 of my Day and Night Dress Challenge – the “Day” part – it’s time for “Coffee”! If you would like to learn more about the Day and Night Dress Challenge, head over to Elizabeth Made this … right here!
It will be interesting for me, making two dresses so close together, to discover which pattern I enjoyed making more and which dress I enjoy wearing more! (There are always favourites!)
So to refresh you on last week’s post, the “Day” part of my Challenge is made with New Look 6803 in this 100% rayon fabric.