There weren’t many details to finish it off. Let me show you how I did it …
I used to buy more bags than clothes. Every time I walked past a bag shop I would stop in. After “just stopping in” a few days in a row, I’d finally buy what I had been looking at. Now that I think about it, I pretty much always bought bags with the same “insides” but with a different style outside.
I haven’t bought a handbag for myself, I think, since I started my RTW fast in January 2015. I not only broke the clothes shopping habit, I also broke the bag buying habit!
I have been scouting around for a me-made replacement. I bought this pattern from Sallie Tomato. Although I haven’t tried the pattern yet, I love the look of it! It looks almost exactly like what I usually bought. One zippered pocket each for my bus pass, my keys, my wallet and phone, and one big enough for my iPad. Oops! It’s missing the space for my iPad.
No problem! I’ll just figure out a way to add another pouch on the backside of this Sallie Tomato bag … um … hopefully!
Perhaps you have seen these photos on my Instagram account? It seems I can’t crochet in peace – Simon will steal my ball of yarn away and Sophie will play with the length of yarn. This calls for a simple, but necessary project!
Perhaps you have seen this advertisement on Facebook or Instagram? This is an excellent idea, unfortunately I couldn’t get past the upside down trees on the zipper side of the bag.
So I decided to make my own.
And I’m certainly not one to waste recycled denim! So let’s make another bag. This one is not quite big enough to hold my iPad, not like the last one I made. This one seemed to go together quicker too! Perhaps it wasn’t as “fancy” or perhaps I’m actually getting used to throwing them together?!?
Again, I started by sewing my strips together, pressing them, ironing on the fusible interfacing, and trimming the two outer bag walls to the right size.
Back again! To recap last week’s post … I wanted to make myself a 100% recycled denim bag, using denim strips like those bags I saw on Pinterest. Last week I cut up my denim jeans, pieced and sewed the strips together and fused on the interfacing for my outer bag walls. I sewed the pockets and the zipper pocket on my bag lining. I sewed the bag strap. I did my topstitching – I love topstitching and Amber, my Singer 421G was a work horse!
This week, I continued on. I prepped the opening zipper, cutting it to the right length and topstitching the zipper tabs on the ends. I switched from the brown zipper to this blue one as it fit around my iPad just right.
I was trying to think of an eye-catching, mysterious title for my blog post. I couldn’t. I have too been immersed in bag making lately – sewing creatively, instead of blogging creatively!
This time I wanted to make a handbag for myself out of 100% recycled materials, specifically denim. I have been collecting a few images on my Pinterest and I’m quite inspired by this recycled denim Chobe Bag with the denim strips sewn together.
Well! We are all packed, ready to go on holidays! Amber, my Singer 421G, finished my swimsuit cover up a few days ago and I’ve packed her up for a little R&R!
I just had to show you the cool stitch that Amber can create, one of many I have yet to discover!
This fabric is a lovely “Dahlia Jacquard”. 51% polyester 46% cotton and 3% spandex. It feels soft and comfortable. I didn’t want the seams to be messy and unfinished on the inside, so I decided to finish them off by folding them to one side and sewing them down with a decorative stitch. I was happy with the results.
My sewing days are running out. Soon my sister and I leave for Mexico. As usual, I have a dozen ideas but only so much time – so at the top of the list, besides swimsuits, is cover ups. I bought the fabric for two cover ups – one for my sister and one for me – last weekend. My sister chose this print – full of black, brown and gold colours. It’s called Tangiers Linen-look print, 97% polyester and 3% spandex. It definitely has the quality of linen. When I pre-washed both fabrics, this one lost at least a 1/4″ off the width with the unravelling and fraying. I decided that I would have to be very careful finishing off the seams.
Did I make changes to this pattern, McCall’s M7200? I added a few inches to the length and I made the back only one piece instead of the several they designed into the pattern. This pattern has a pretty back with all those seams and a bit of a peplum, but I want my cover ups to be a plain style. I ended up with only four pieces – front, back, collar and sleeve. (My cover up will be the same, made of the beige fabric.)
and it takes A LOT for me to like the style, colour and fit of a swimsuit. With a few changes, this one was good right out of the envelope. It’s a one piece, which I wanted, and it has flattering gathers at the front to hide all evils. I removed the gathers at the back though – I’ll explain that later. The colour … well it’s a wild purple print! Purple is “my colour” as I have discussed before. The sizing was a bit big, I used shorter than recommended strips of elastic, and I sewed the side seams in with a 1 inch seam allowance, and not a 5/8 inch seam allowance.
So let’s get into some detail about this pattern …
Every time I make a pair of pants (trousers) for myself I first take a look at this photo. No, I did not make these. This is how RTW (ready to wear) fits on my body – and this is the right size. Just awful! This photo reminds me that no matter how little or how much work it is or how good or bad it turns out, me-made is always going to be better than this.
I have cut out three pairs of pants so far and last Tuesday I finished the first pair – the chocolate brown ones. I used McCalls M6901 (a Palmer/Pletsch pattern). I didn’t use to like Palmer/Pletsch patterns – basically because they just went on and on, page after page of instruction to which I never paid any attention. Silly me! Continue reading