That’s good, because it looks like I’m only getting started … seems like I have been bitten by the “bag bug” and have made another. My sister gave me a box of upholstery fabric (the cat “Sophie” is all mine) and I made my first bag with fabrics from it, my tote bag, which I have been using everyday to lug my possessions onto the bus to work and back again. That bag’s big enough to carry my laptop, just to give you an idea of the size. You can read all about that one here, if you wish!
Next I thought I might try a zippered cross-body bag. Smaller, but not too small that I can’t fit my iPad in it.
All my pieces are planned, measured, cut and fused with either fleece or interfacing.
I have really been enjoying this project! My inspiration was the Sallie Tomato Zippy Crossbody Bag. I started it last post here and finished it just this week.
There weren’t many details to finish it off. Let me show you how I did it …
I used to buy more bags than clothes. Every time I walked past a bag shop I would stop in. After “just stopping in” a few days in a row, I’d finally buy what I had been looking at. Now that I think about it, I pretty much always bought bags with the same “insides” but with a different style outside.
I haven’t bought a handbag for myself, I think, since I started my RTW fast in January 2015. I not only broke the clothes shopping habit, I also broke the bag buying habit!
I have been scouting around for a me-made replacement. I bought this pattern from Sallie Tomato. Although I haven’t tried the pattern yet, I love the look of it! It looks almost exactly like what I usually bought. One zippered pocket each for my bus pass, my keys, my wallet and phone, and one big enough for my iPad. Oops! It’s missing the space for my iPad.
No problem! I’ll just figure out a way to add another pouch on the backside of this Sallie Tomato bag … um … hopefully!
Perhaps you have seen these photos on my Instagram account? It seems I can’t crochet in peace – Simon will steal my ball of yarn away and Sophie will play with the length of yarn. This calls for a simple, but necessary project!
Perhaps you have seen this advertisement on Facebook or Instagram? This is an excellent idea, unfortunately I couldn’t get past the upside down trees on the zipper side of the bag.
So I decided to make my own.
Well … actually my sister’s dress – part of my “Sister’s Sewing Project”. It’s a border print and I’ve fallen in love with it. Border print fabric is not easy to find!
My sister wanted this dress – she took this photo from the TV! It was her inspiration.
And she found a lovely border print fabric for it – 100% cotton.
I pulled this pattern from my stash – Butterick B6089. (It’s difficult to see in this photo because of the camera flash on the plastic cover – sorry!)
and I’m not quite finished yet!
Let me tell you what’s up …
I have been searching for a pattern and fabric to make a “replica” of my mother’s and aunt’s dresses in this photo. My Aunt was a seamstress back in Europe and she not only sewed for clients but also for herself and my mother. She used no patterns and could make anything! I thought I had the magical combination for this dress with this 100% Rayon Denim Challis I had in my stash – a favourite fabric of mine!
I still think this pattern, Vogue 1395, might work but it doesn’t have the rounded neckline that I want. Being lazy, I thought I might just make two bodice backs and use those to make the bodice instead.
And I’m certainly not one to waste recycled denim! So let’s make another bag. This one is not quite big enough to hold my iPad, not like the last one I made. This one seemed to go together quicker too! Perhaps it wasn’t as “fancy” or perhaps I’m actually getting used to throwing them together?!?
Again, I started by sewing my strips together, pressing them, ironing on the fusible interfacing, and trimming the two outer bag walls to the right size.
Back again! To recap last week’s post … I wanted to make myself a 100% recycled denim bag, using denim strips like those bags I saw on Pinterest. Last week I cut up my denim jeans, pieced and sewed the strips together and fused on the interfacing for my outer bag walls. I sewed the pockets and the zipper pocket on my bag lining. I sewed the bag strap. I did my topstitching – I love topstitching and Amber, my Singer 421G was a work horse!
This week, I continued on. I prepped the opening zipper, cutting it to the right length and topstitching the zipper tabs on the ends. I switched from the brown zipper to this blue one as it fit around my iPad just right.
I was trying to think of an eye-catching, mysterious title for my blog post. I couldn’t. I have too been immersed in bag making lately – sewing creatively, instead of blogging creatively!
The only other handbags I’ve made I posted about here and here. I made one of them for my sister – she’s seems to be happy with it. I made her’s by copying something she already had.
This time I wanted to make a handbag for myself out of 100% recycled materials, specifically denim. I have been collecting a few images on my Pinterest and I’m quite inspired by this recycled denim Chobe Bag with the denim strips sewn together.
I was determined to clean up and oil Barbie, my Singer Slant-o-Matic 500, my “Rocketeer”, while I was on holidays from work. Before I even got around to cleaning her up … well … I broke off her Plate Cover by accident. I just closed it and it popped off in my hand. The manual showed it was an easy fix – just snap it back on.
I could see though on my Plate Cover that my hinge pins show some paint chipping on the right and a slight crack possibly on the left.
These VSM are famous for broken Plate Cover hinges so I was afraid to force it. I cautiously pushed it back on – with a bad result …