I am almost finished my #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap dress, which you might have read about last week. Due to some careful pattern/stripe matching I am happy with how things are turning out.
This Sewaholic pattern, the Yaletown, has been a joy to work with. This is my second Yaltetown, my first one was made with a woven fabric, not a knit. So second time around, sewing it up has gone pretty smoothly. The only changes I made to this pattern, just like the first time it was made, was to make the bodice slightly larger as I love the loose, comfortable feel of it. I also lengthened the bodice just an inch.
I’m not sure how it happened but I did manage to have a closely matching thread in my stash!
… and I found the perfect buttons for my last project. But before I show them to you, let me show you what I made with the remnants of my paisley Topaz knit. I had some of this lovely fabric – 85% polyester, 10% rayon, 5% spandex – left over, just enough. I think I have made a few of these McCalls tops before – one of the other ones I made is here.
Fresh off the Day and Night Dress Challenge, Coffee and Cocktails, I’m headed to Lisbon…
… the Lisbon Cardigan by Itch to Stitch, that is.
I cut out my pattern pieces and fabric with the help of Sophie!
I love this knit fabric, a “shades of grey” (and black) paisley Topaz knit, 85% polyester, 10% rayon, 5% spandex. Others seem to like it too! I have two co-workers who have RTW cardigans in variations of grey paisley knit – that’s why I knew I had to have one too!
I did it! I completed The Day and Night Dress Challenge organized by Elizabeth Made This! You can read about her Challenge details here. I completed my Day dress – my “Coffee” dress last week. I used New Look 6803 and this 100% rayon. It was an easy pattern and I would happily make it again.
I finally had a chance to take some photos. It is too cold outside still so we are stuck with these inside shots.
Yes, my sister, who isn’t fond of sewing (she loves to draw), asked me a few weeks ago to make her a top. No rush, no pressure, it would be great though if it was ready by the date of her husband’s Christmas party, this Saturday – which actually wasn’t a problem.
She had already purchased this GAP top, in grey, but she wanted another just like this in her favourite colour. Easy! I could trace the grey one!
needle with a tiger – A pinstripe!
What do you get when you cross a bodice pattern block, a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt and a vintage Butterick pattern? Let me show you!
In the ’80s I remember having a red polyester knit dress – similar to the one here without a collar. I loved it!
I decided to make another one for myself using this Butterick pattern and this knit fabric. I’m not sure what its content is – I just found it in my stash. I love the print. Is this paisley or floral – or paisley floral? or floral paisley? Continue reading
Technically speaking, it is still Jungle January here. Hop on over to Pretty Grievances to see all the WILD garments that she has rounded up! In the last few waking hours of the day I would like to show you my second Jungle January garment – something that I am very happy with… even if I got off to a bad start. Let’s just say that I still haven’t learned the lesson: Read the instructions first!
I have this pattern, Vogue V9107, which is not meant for knits, but who am I to follow the fabric recommendations! (Surprisingly enough, this time it worked!) I decided to make view A, the top.
I love starting the year off with #JungleJanuary at Pretty Grievances! (Above image property of Pretty Grievances.) I usually don’t add jungle prints to my fabric stash, but I am always inspired by Jungle January. This year I have found two fabrics – one being a black & blue Ocelot. It’s called a Harmony Jacquard, 58% cotton, 37% polyester, 5% spandex. It is a thick soft fabric, warm for when the office gets too cool. The fabric might be to soft for the pattern I am using but I love the blue! I decided to pull out my untried Sewaholic Davie dress. I like the size range of Sewaholic patterns and they always fit me well. This pattern has cap sleeves though so if I sew it up as is, I will have to keep a sweater handy to keep my arms warm.
I love the blue – the camera picked up the fabric’s true colours.
I am making progress! I have needed new pants in my wardrobe for a while now, but since I signed up for the RTW Challenge last January, I have refused to purchase any. There has been a lot of sewing this year – thoughtful sewing!
To start the pants-making process, I made my muslin, and then my first pair, my brown pair with the invisible zipper. Time to move on to my 2nd pair. I used a black 100% polyester that I was unsure would be suitable for pants, especially this pattern with its zipper and many seams, so I considered this pair might be another muslin – a stretchy knit muslin.
Perhaps, when you almost don’t have enough fabric to finish it!
I’ve been bustin’ through my stash and so far, have made a flowered vintage dress and a red Sewaholic Hollyburn. Next I thought I would make a black Sewaholic Hollyburn – you can see the link to the pattern company here: Sewaholic Hollyburn. I found some black in my fabric stash, a polyester, but not a stretchy knit. I’m not too sure exactly what it is. As I was cutting out my fabric, I realized that I didn’t really have enough black fabric for the two wide skirt pieces. My fabric remanent was too narrow.
So let’s give this a try… I made a 4 panel skirt into a 6 panel skirt. Continue reading