I bought this pattern, McCall’s M7390, a while ago and have waited all this time to find a striped fabric that would work. I did find a 100% linen with wide uneven stripes which I liked, but when the sales person measured it up, there was only 1.4 m left on the bolt. My pattern said I needed 1.6. Oh so what … I bought it anyway. I’ll just have to make the short sleeved version with no pockets. Hopefully I can make the short sleeved version, instead of the no sleeved version!
I was very pleased that the stripes on this fabric were properly placed along the grain. Sometimes they make a real mess of things – you follow the grain and your stripes are at an angle!
I have really been enjoying this project! My inspiration was the Sallie Tomato Zippy Crossbody Bag. I started it last post here and finished it just this week.
There weren’t many details to finish it off. Let me show you how I did it …
And I’m certainly not one to waste recycled denim! So let’s make another bag. This one is not quite big enough to hold my iPad, not like the last one I made. This one seemed to go together quicker too! Perhaps it wasn’t as “fancy” or perhaps I’m actually getting used to throwing them together?!?
Again, I started by sewing my strips together, pressing them, ironing on the fusible interfacing, and trimming the two outer bag walls to the right size.
I was trying to think of an eye-catching, mysterious title for my blog post. I couldn’t. I have too been immersed in bag making lately – sewing creatively, instead of blogging creatively!
The only other handbags I’ve made I posted about here and here. I made one of them for my sister – she’s seems to be happy with it. I made her’s by copying something she already had.
This time I wanted to make a handbag for myself out of 100% recycled materials, specifically denim. I have been collecting a few images on my Pinterest and I’m quite inspired by this recycled denim Chobe Bag with the denim strips sewn together.
Perhaps you remember my denim skirt? I spent a couple of days trying to decide whether to sew on the back pockets, or not. Well, I have found a perfect place for them!
A while ago, I found the FREE pdf pattern from By Hand London, the Polly Top. I knew it would be perfect for the leftover fabric I end up with occasionally… and I certainly had some left when I finished my denim skirt.
Does anyone else piece together pdf patterns the same as me? I always seem to piece together one pattern piece at a time and then immediately cut it out. I guess I feel like I am accomplishing something that way? Here you can see my first piece taking shape – like putting a puzzle together.
Hello all, me again. I’ve had a couple of “distractions” over the last week therefore I haven’t quite finished my denim skirt, but I thought I would show you what I have accomplished so far – and perhaps this week you might even get a laugh out of it!
I started my denim skirt by cutting out a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt pattern here and making my back pockets, and doing my topstitching and flat felled seams here.
Now it is time to sew my jeans fly front. My one side is interfaced, double fold bias tape is sewn on the rough edge and the piece is sewn on to my left side front (if I am looking at the skirt). The interfacing will never show as this piece is folded over to the inside.
from my Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt pattern. I cut this pattern out last week from some 100% pre-washed cotton I found in my stash. I still have a good metre or so left so I’ll have to think of another project for it. Do any of you have a favourite tank top pattern that could use the remainder of my 100% cotton denim?
Since this is the fourth time I have cut out a Sewaholic Hollyburn, I think it is definitely one of my TNT patterns.
My skirt is coming together well. The thought of topstitching and revits and Jeans buttons makes me SMILE!
I started this skirt by making my interfaced back pockets. I just cut a large rectangle shape, as the Hollyburn didn’t have a pattern piece for this. I precisely measured for my angled corners. I marked the centre point of the bottom with my Chaco liner and I measured two inches up on each side and made marks there too.
needle with a tiger – A pinstripe!
What do you get when you cross a bodice pattern block, a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt and a vintage Butterick pattern? Let me show you!
In the ’80s I remember having a red polyester knit dress – similar to the one here without a collar. I loved it!
I decided to make another one for myself using this Butterick pattern and this knit fabric. I’m not sure what its content is – I just found it in my stash. I love the print. Is this paisley or floral – or paisley floral? or floral paisley? Continue reading
I have pretty much finished my cotton/Tencel Sewaholic Nicola – after sewing on the last of my buttons the only thing left for me to do (seriously) is take photos. That’s it!
Perhaps, when you almost don’t have enough fabric to finish it!
I’ve been bustin’ through my stash and so far, have made a flowered vintage dress and a red Sewaholic Hollyburn. Next I thought I would make a black Sewaholic Hollyburn – you can see the link to the pattern company here: Sewaholic Hollyburn. I found some black in my fabric stash, a polyester, but not a stretchy knit. I’m not too sure exactly what it is. As I was cutting out my fabric, I realized that I didn’t really have enough black fabric for the two wide skirt pieces. My fabric remanent was too narrow.
So let’s give this a try… I made a 4 panel skirt into a 6 panel skirt. Continue reading