Have you picked out your Designer Original and the supplies you need to make your Designer me-made COPY? Or are you just in the planning stages – don’t worry … there are still about 45 days left before DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER 2017 begins! Pull those ideas out, polish them off!
Ever since the first DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER I’ve seen many fabulous garments in the stores, magazines, online, on social media, on the runways … so many beautiful garments! And I say,
“Why buy when you can make it yourself – better and for less money?”
You’ve seen my Designer Originals here … this Haori jacket from zasue.com …
and this dress – which I apologize, I am going to actually make into a skirt and top.
Everything’s cut out and ready to sew!
I’ve shown you my plans for my Designer me-made COPY of my Designer Original. Leave a comment that you want to join in, here or on any DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER post, and I’ll share your post on my blog in DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER, along with everyone else’s, and it will be eligible for PRIZES!
What’s your inspiration? There are many out there. I was googling “designer fashion” and as usual got side-tracked. I’ve collected some styles here and on my Pinterest board, “DESIGNER FASHION” here. Let me show you what I found from way back. (Hover over/click the photos to get the info on them.)
Moving closer to the present, I found these …
“Why buy when you can make it yourself – better and for less money?”
If you want a designer garment too, join the DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER Challenge!
How to participate in DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER:
- On your blog post a photo of your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY, mentioning DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER in your post with a link back to here, so other’s can join in.
- OR on IG post a photo of your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY, tagging it #DESIGNINDECEMBER and @nicedressthanksimadeit.
- OR on Twitter post a photo of your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY, tagging it #DESIGNINDECEMBER and @LindaMNicedress.
- OR send your email address to me at imadeit362436 (at) gmail (dot) com and I’ll send you an invite to join the “DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER” Pinterest board here so you can add your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY to the board.
- Then leave a comment here on my blog and I’ll post your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY for you on my blog in DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER, with a link back to you – whether you have made it already, are in the process of making it, or plan on making it… let me know!
- Don’t forget to share a comment or two with your other DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER Challengers. Everyone loves comments!
I have something new for you this year – PRIZE SPONSORS! (Full details in my next post.) Also, next post, I’ll have a DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER button code you can copy and past into a Text Widget, or download this image and then upload it onto your social media.
How to be eligible for prizes in DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER:
If you would like a chance of winning FAB prizes, you’ll need to SHARE you Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY with us like this:
- On my blog: Follow “Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!” and leave a comment that you are joining in and I’ll post your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY for you on my blog in DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER, with a link back to you.
- On Facebook: Follow the DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER group board here. You will be able to post your comments, progress, and your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY.
- Then either on your blog: post a photo of your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY, mentioning DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER in your post with a link back to here or so other’s can join in … AND/OR on your Instagram: share a photo of your Designer Original and your Designer me-made COPY tagging them #DESIGNINDECEMBER and follow @nicedressthanksimadeit.
Only entries using the above three methods will be entered into the competition. Closing date for entries is 31st December 2017 Midnight GMT.
28 thoughts on “Are you getting ready for DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER 2017?”
Hi Linda. I’m on IG and Facebook (plus I blog) but not on Twitter. I hope to join in though. Time and family permitting. It sounds such a great idea and will be my first time.
That’s great! We’d love to have you join in. I will keep an eye out for you. I’ll be posting ideas periodically here and on the Facebook group and on IG to help sewists decide what to COPY. Copying any Designer, or RTW Designer for that matter, and any project big or small is acceptable. Have fun with it! 🎉💃🕺🎊
This looks fun, but I don’t quite understand. You make your own pattern, or you alter an existing pattern to look like the designer original you chose? I’m probably overthinking this, but I’ve never quite understood this part of the equation! Thanks!
That’s ok, Kathy! Thank you for asking. I welcome questions! Either method is acceptable – do what works to get the job done! Everyone of us has seen something they like, but don’t actually want to buy for some reason. So I propose that we sew that outfit that we see. Now if you are lucky and you have an exact pattern, either an indie pattern, your own self-drafted one, or one of the “Big 4” patterns, that you can use – then go for it! If on the other hand, you have to alter a pattern that you already have, or draft your own pattern, you can do that too. Whatever works for you. Let’s make what we see and want! Now, myself, I did have a pattern to match the kimono style jacket almost exactly, but the dress … which I am going to make into a top and a skirt because I would get more use out of a two-piece outfit … I have a dress pattern already BUT I have to alter it to put the pleat and the bow in the back. I figure that will not be difficult to do as I just add in a couple of extra inches at the centre back and pleat it. I hope this explanation helps you and anyone else who is wondering. If not, just ask!
That answers my questions, thank you so much Linda!
Ooh nice. .early prep..after my showcase I will be sure to fit in my look 😊😊😊😍😍
Perfect! I’ll be looking forward to it! 😁👍
The pressure. .lol hahaha 😊😍
Just noticed … Have you got a new profile photo? or a new hairdo or something? Nicely done!
Thanks.😊.I just decided to update my photo 😊
Well it’s a good photo – very clear, well lit and you look great!
Thank you 😊
I am at that stage where I don’t have a clue! I shall cogitate…
Well your very skillful Sue, so I’m sure you’ll come up with something just FABULOUS! 🎊💃🕺🎉 Looking forward to it! 😁
I failed to finish last year, and I know I have a very busy November coming up – I will do the best I can to make something right through this year!
That’s ok! You are not alone. I promised Emma, who missed the deadline last year by days that she could save her’s for this year! She’s probably forgotten by now! 😂
I’ve watched from afar but you’ve convinced me Linda – time to participate!
Thanks for organising and inspiring us.
Glad to have you join in! I’m looking forward to your lovely Designer me-made Copy! 🎉💃🕺🏿🎊
I’d like to give it a go. I’m about to attack the 2nd suit for Refashioners 2017 (first effort was a complete disaster), but that will be over in a week, whether I get it done or not!
Nice to have you join in! Thank you for letting me know here. Good luck with your Refashioners 2017. You still have lots of time for Designin’ December! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Yes please, me please (as long as my sewing machine doesn’t take too long at the menders)
Happy to have you with us! Fingers crossed for your sewing machine!
This sounds like fun!
Have you got a Designer Original you would like to copy? Join us! 😁👍
I’d love to…although I don’t think I’ll manage it this year.
That’s ok! Some sewists just watch the first year and then have ahead start on next year!
I’ll be joining in! Thanks for organizing, Linda!!
In the nick of time! LOL
Comments are closed.