Yes, I had a bit of a set back. As soon as I returned from my lazy holiday in Mexico my back went out. Walking is fine, standing is fine. That’s about it. So … no sitting in my sewing chair. 😦
I couldn’t help but dream, browse, and plan my future projects though … and I started seriously searching for my DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER outfit. I know DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER is far away yet, but I am not the type of person to leave anything to the last minute.
I started my search looking for designer fashion on Pinterest. I managed to “pin” quite a few favourite dresses and jackets to my DESIGNER FASHION board.
I have already seen sewists on Instagram adding lace collars to their makes, so this design is not that far off.
Here is another simple dress with special neckline.
How about a lace yoke? or appliques?
How about this vintage pattern?
Stolen right from the runway … isn’t this the most exquisite design you have ever seen?
For those of you with the talent to reuse, remake and recycle – how about this design? It’s beyond beautiful!
Then I found THE ONE for me! The beginning of my DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER contribution! This company (zasue.com) makes beautiful Haori jackets. Take a look at their website here.
And again, THIS ONE would look lovely with my Haori jacket. But if I made this one, I would have to alter it to a skirt and a top, instead of the dress. I always gravitate towards making dresses, but I usually only wear skirts and tops. Makes no sense whatsoever! I should make this, but in two pieces. It can be easily done.
Just look at the pleat on the back and the little bow at the top!
Next to search for the perfect fabrics. On the way to Mexico, I made a stop in Langley, B.C. and found this – a blue and cream printed upholstery fabric for my Haori jacket (unknown fibres unfortunately) and a 100% polyester called “Samantha Solids”. A lovely shade of blue, but when I got home, it just seemed a bit lightweight. Then on another road trip I found this 62% polyester/33% rayon Ponti Di Roma. It’s actually a darker royal blue than this photo shows and a heavier weight than the 100% polyester. I think it will be more suitable for a top and skirt.
For the dress, I’m going to start with this pattern, McCall’s M7574, but make the dress into two pieces. There are already instructions, etc. to make the top only in this pattern.
When tracing the pattern and cutting the fabric, I used the shape of the top of the dress for my top …
and made the skirt from the shape of the bottom of the dress.
When it came to the pleat in the back of the top, I added an extra inch on to the back seam at the fold line. I’ll show you how it looks when I sew it up. This pattern has the funniest shaped sleeves I have ever seen, but I can already see how they go together.
So, unfortunately, no sewing this last week, but I did trace a few patterns and cut out a few fabrics for future projects, including DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER, standing at the kitchen table!