Well … actually my sister’s dress – part of my “Sister’s Sewing Project”. It’s a border print and I’ve fallen in love with it. Border print fabric is not easy to find!
My sister wanted this dress – she took this photo from the TV! It was her inspiration.
And she found a lovely border print fabric for it – 100% cotton.
I pulled this pattern from my stash – Butterick B6089. (It’s difficult to see in this photo because of the camera flash on the plastic cover – sorry!)
Last weekend started out as a busy weekend and turned into a challenging week, but let me show you what I did!
I am still working on my sister’s dress – part of my “Sister’s Sewing Project”. She would like this dress, in this 100% cotton border print and I am using this pattern, Butterick B6089 (sorry for the flash glare).
It started off bad. I wanted a dress like my mom and aunt. I wanted it out of this fabric (100% Rayon, which I love) and I thought I could alter this pattern to what I wanted. That’s when my problems started. If you missed it, you can read about it here.
So forget about the dress! I managed to salvage as much of the fabric as I could and I made a top instead. Continue reading
A while ago, I detailed how I organize my Pattern Stash, here. Over the years, I have probably collected, and received from others, over 200 patterns. I still use the same method I blogged about back then, but now I also have a photo of each of my patterns on my iPad. Always at my fingertips!
I put the envelopes in plastic pages into binders with all the dresses together, jackets, etc.
I put the instructions and pattern pieces into one plastic zip bag and store the bags numerically in banker boxes.
I find this way I can easily browse through all my pattern drawings and the information on the back. After I have made a decision on which pattern I want to use I move to my banker box and pull the pattern instructions and pieces out.
My fabric stash is long overdue for some sort of organizing. Continue reading
Well! We are all packed, ready to go on holidays! Amber, my Singer 421G, finished my swimsuit cover up a few days ago and I’ve packed her up for a little R&R!
I just had to show you the cool stitch that Amber can create, one of many I have yet to discover!
This fabric is a lovely “Dahlia Jacquard”. 51% polyester 46% cotton and 3% spandex. It feels soft and comfortable. I didn’t want the seams to be messy and unfinished on the inside, so I decided to finish them off by folding them to one side and sewing them down with a decorative stitch. I was happy with the results.
I’ve been participating in #miymarch17 on IG and the prompt for today was “COMMUNITY”. The sewing community is definitely a wonderful place to share knowledge, projects and friendship. Today’s prompt reminded me that I haven’t had the chance to share this with you yet – my visit to the creativfestival, certainly another way to meet your local sewing community. It was my first sewing expo and I certainly hope I can attend another soon.
I signed up for a class with Cindy Scraba of Cindy’s Threadworks and learned quite a few things about bag making. I always wondered what the heck I could put in my bags to make them not so floppy. Now I know!
Here are a couple of many sample bags that Cindy brought with her to discuss.
I thought, now that I have my pants muslin sorted out, that I better finish off my one and only UFO (Un Finished Object) before it was full steam ahead with my pants. A while back I made a skirt for my sister, another garment in my “Sister’s Sewing Projects“.
and there are strange goings on in our hotel room…
I spent last weekend out of town, with one night in a hotel, with nothing to keep me occupied. Well, nothing except my 1952 Singer Featherweight 221, or “Winnie” for short. (If you would like to learn how I acquired Winnie and all her deets, just check out this post.)
… or what I like to call “My Pilgrimage to the Church of Fabricana”. I’m not in the least obsessive or possessive regarding all things sewing related. (Ya, right!) I have even sworn off fabric shopping – PERIOD – for the last year. Well, except for the couple of purchases I made about a month ago, just some knit fabrics for T-shirts (to be made up “someday”). But those were purchased with Gift Certificates – Gift Certificates given to me last Christmas! Considering I didn’t actually buy those, I think they’re exempt from the Fabric Fast.
So I still claim that I have not purchased fabric for a year.. ever since August of 2015 when I last travelled to Vancouver to visit my Enabler/Sister. She is always more than happy to drive me from store to store in exchange for a treat or a meal or even a fabric purchase for herself (for me to sew, of course!). So last weekend, off I went again!
I’m am going to start off by apologizing… this post just might be photo-heavy, but don’t worry that won’t strop me from talking too much!
I am so happy! I have finished my denim skirt – finally! It has been a slow process, but for the most part, enjoyable. I loved all the different techniques involved and I was pleased that I could turn my favourite pattern, a Sewaholic Hollyburn, into a denim skirt. If you missed some of the posts, I worked on sewing and topstitching the back pockets and the flat felled seams here; I sewed the fly front, front pockets, faux flat felled seams and belt loops here; and I pretty much spent this whole post here agonizing over whether to sew on my back pockets or not!
But before I get all bent out of shape over the back pockets again, let me show you one of my favourite sewing tools – The Hammer. Perfect for attaching jeans buttons and rivets and letting go of all that stress bottled up inside you! Continue reading