and I’m not quite finished yet!
Let me tell you what’s up …
I have been searching for a pattern and fabric to make a “replica” of my mother’s and aunt’s dresses in this photo. My Aunt was a seamstress back in Europe and she not only sewed for clients but also for herself and my mother. She used no patterns and could make anything! I thought I had the magical combination for this dress with this 100% Rayon Denim Challis I had in my stash – a favourite fabric of mine!
I still think this pattern, Vogue 1395, might work but it doesn’t have the rounded neckline that I want. Being lazy, I thought I might just make two bodice backs and use those to make the bodice instead.
I was determined to clean up and oil Barbie, my Singer Slant-o-Matic 500, my “Rocketeer”, while I was on holidays from work. Before I even got around to cleaning her up … well … I broke off her Plate Cover by accident. I just closed it and it popped off in my hand. The manual showed it was an easy fix – just snap it back on.
I could see though on my Plate Cover that my hinge pins show some paint chipping on the right and a slight crack possibly on the left.
These VSM are famous for broken Plate Cover hinges so I was afraid to force it. I cautiously pushed it back on – with a bad result …
I started this dress last week (read the prequel right here). I love this pattern. It’s a remake of a classic dress pattern, Butterick B5920 “Retro ’51”. Comfortable and easy to make. The fabric is lightweight and soft, an Ellena Rayon Twill Print, 100% Rayon. I even found the perfect buttons for my fabric.
Now I did make some changes – no heart shaped pockets on the chest, no waspish waist, no corset, no crinoline.
One important change for anyone wanting to try this pattern for themselves – I made the sleeve-less version but the shoulders seemed too long at the top seam. I actually cut the armholes to a gradual inch shorter at the top shoulder point. If I am making a sleeve-less top – it’s going to show all of my arms! Continue reading
Just by chance actually! As a matter of fact, I learned a couple of things.
I’ve decided I need more dresses in my life (again). I also noticed that IG is having a #sewtogetherforsummer Challenge that I can participate in – if I get my entry done by June 21st. I do not like deadline sewing, so this is going to be interesting.
I have my shirt dress pattern picked out – Butterick B5920. It is an unexpected shirt dress pattern, as it might not even be a shirt dress. It’s a Butterick Retro ’51 pattern. Of course, there is NO WAY I am sewing heart shaped pockets on my chest – sorry. I am going to leave the pockets off completely. But I do LOVE this turned up collar. It kind of follows my neck curve like no other collar I have seen before … and I love it!
I won’t be buying any more Vintage Sewing Machines. That’s it. I’m done. Why? Well, because I have my Rocketeer! My Singer Slant-o-Matic 500. “Barbie”, as I call her, was born in 1961. Look at this ad someone shared on FaceBook – look at those prices. Quite steep for the 60’s, I think!
Vintage Sewing Machines!
I didn’t know I did, but it has been proven that I do.
Ever since I was given Ilona and Maria, I’ve been bitten by the “VSM bug”. (It’s all my Mom’s fault!!!) I’ve been browsing “for sale” sites on line and learning as much as I can about various Vintage Sewing Machines. So far, my favourite is the Singer 500, the “Rocketeer”.
The “Rocketeer”. The most unusual and complicated sewing machine I have ever seen!
The Rocketeer is a slant shank, steel gear driven sewing machine made between 1960 and 1963. It has a horizontal rotary hook (drop in class 66 bobbin) and besides doing a lock stitch, reverse, and zigzag, it has 25 built in stitches, 5 Special Disks (top hat cams) included, plus 12 more that can be purchased separately.