What can I say? I still had some denim strips left!

And I’m certainly not one to waste recycled denim!  So let’s make another bag.  This one is not quite big enough to hold my iPad, not like the last one I made.  This one seemed to go together quicker too!  Perhaps it wasn’t as “fancy” or perhaps I’m actually getting used to throwing them together?!?

Again, I started by sewing my strips together, pressing them, ironing on the fusible interfacing, and trimming the two outer bag walls to the right size.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!! Continue reading

How to sew a recycled denim handbag.

I was trying to think of an eye-catching, mysterious title for my blog post.  I couldn’t.  I have too been immersed in bag making lately – sewing creatively, instead of blogging creatively!  

The only other handbags I’ve made I posted about here and here.  I made one of them for my sister – she’s seems to be happy with it.  I made her’s by copying something she already had.

This time I wanted to make a handbag for myself out of 100% recycled materials, specifically denim.  I have been collecting a few images on my Pinterest and I’m quite inspired by this recycled denim Chobe Bag with the denim strips sewn together.

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

Salvage operations…

After sewing my Motor City Express jacket for possibly the whole of last month, I decided to tackle the small projects lying around next.  Mending, shortening Mr. G.T.’s shirt sleeves from long to elbow length, and salvaging a few garments that I have made but don’t wear.  Like many I have had a few Me Mades that turned out perfectly fine, BUT were not perfectly fine on me. Continue reading

It’s better with interfacing.

As you might remember, I have been working on my Motor City Express Jacket, which I started here and here.  I received this pattern when I purchased the Craftsy course “Sew Better, Sew Faster: Smart Construction“.  (I just love it when the courses I want go on sale!)  I am so looking forward to wearing my finished jacket soon!  (When our temperatures cool down though – it was terribly hot again Saturday afternoon – 90F or 32C – we are just not used to that!)

Last week, another Linda (of Remake Remodel Recycle) was mentioning in the comments section of my post about using interfacing to put the pattern markings on as I was having difficulty marking my fabric.  I couldn’t stop wondering about the lack of instruction in this pattern regarding the use of interfacing on the pocket openings.  The pattern instructed to use interfacing around the neck and arm openings and the hem, etc., but not the pocket openings, which I was something I wasn’t used to.  Maybe I was missing something.   Continue reading

A little bit of this and a little bit of that…

I usually find lots of sewing time on the weekends, tucked between chores and errands and spending time with my family.  Last weekend was a busy one though, with not much sewing time.  Instead, it was a fun weekend in Vancouver with my sister, who would like me to sew a MOG (Mother of the Groom) dress for her for her son’s wedding in February.  We spent the day shopping for fabric for her.  I thought you might like to see what she bought and sent home with me … I’ve got lots to blog about in the future!

I like this dress pattern, McCall’s M7084.  My sister likes the top with the contrasting inserts shown in view C, but with the collar and sleeves of view D, so we have a blue made of 97% cotton, 3% spandex, with the white print for the inserts, again 97% cotton, 3% spandex. 

image

This one is McCall’s M7169, view A, with view C sleeves, with the brownish flowers in the centre panel and the black for the sides.  Both these fabrics are cotton with spandex too.

image

This one is a vintage pattern from 1978, Simplicity 8510.  It must be a favourite of my sister’s for her to keep it safe all this time.  The fabric is a similar beige as in the pattern photo, linen-like, 70% polyester, 30% rayon.  (It is deceiving sitting on my bedspread so ignore the pink flowered fabric!)

image

Next, another vintage pattern, McCall’s 4408, and another pattern favourite from 1989.  She would like the skirt shorter, just under the knees, than in the pattern photo though.  The black print is a 100% polyester, the brown print and the “Clark Gable” print are both 100% cotton.

imageMy sister’s last purchase was the MOG dress fabric.   Continue reading

Still “sitting on the fence”!

Last week I came to a grinding halt sewing up my First Vintage Pattern.  You can read about it here, if you like.  It’s a McCall’s 7238 from 1980.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

I wanted to use a special fabric for this special dress. After all, the last time this pattern was used it was to make my sister’s wedding dress!  I found a beautiful flowered print in my fabric stash – a Misty Stretch ITY Slub Jersey Knit, 96% polyester, 4% Lycra.  Unfortunately, although the fabric drapes well, it is as light as the finest tee shirt material.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

I ended up having so much difficulty sewing the side seams, I almost gave up.  My serger chewed up the fabric and when I switched to my sewing machine, it skipped stitches.  This lead to seams that were not great at the start and ended up being a puckered mess at the finish.  After all the support and suggestions from my fellow sewing bloggers, I had some great tips to try:
Continue reading