A UFO – not lost, but found!

Last weekend I attacked with renewed energy one of the UFOs I found when I was analyzing my #MMMay2018 results and inventorying my fabric.  (Found?  First I would have to I admit it was lost!  Never!)

I had previously made a Designer me-made Copy of a GAP tank top for my sister with a beautiful deep teal green stretch knit, 90% polyester, 7% rayon and 3% spandex, posted here.  Since there was fabric leftover from that project, and it is a beautiful fabric not to be wasted, I told my sister that I was sure I could squeeze a simple tee shirt out of the remnant. Continue reading

More on my denim skirt…

Hello all, me again.  I’ve had a couple of “distractions” over the last week therefore I haven’t quite finished my denim skirt, but I thought I would show you what I have accomplished so far – and perhaps this week you might even get a laugh out of it!

I started my denim skirt by cutting out a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt pattern here and making my back pockets, and doing my topstitching and flat felled seams here.

Now it is time to sew my jeans fly front.  My one side is interfaced, double fold bias tape is sewn on the rough edge and the piece is sewn on to my left side front (if I am looking at the skirt).  The interfacing will never show as this piece is folded over to the inside.

image Continue reading

Still “sitting on the fence”!

Last week I came to a grinding halt sewing up my First Vintage Pattern.  You can read about it here, if you like.  It’s a McCall’s 7238 from 1980.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

I wanted to use a special fabric for this special dress. After all, the last time this pattern was used it was to make my sister’s wedding dress!  I found a beautiful flowered print in my fabric stash – a Misty Stretch ITY Slub Jersey Knit, 96% polyester, 4% Lycra.  Unfortunately, although the fabric drapes well, it is as light as the finest tee shirt material.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

I ended up having so much difficulty sewing the side seams, I almost gave up.  My serger chewed up the fabric and when I switched to my sewing machine, it skipped stitches.  This lead to seams that were not great at the start and ended up being a puckered mess at the finish.  After all the support and suggestions from my fellow sewing bloggers, I had some great tips to try:
Continue reading

Filling the Gaps! (and catching up on my #mmmay15)

Oh the weather was so lovely today!  I just couldn’t sit down to post!  🙂  But the sun is fading now so let’s talk…

When I cleaned up (and out) my closet, I realized that I had some gaps in my wardrobe – last weekend I finished my black top and this weekend my red.  I still think I could use a solid blue one, but I am not sure that I have a solid blue fabric in my stash.  I did have the solid black and solid red that I used!  Lucky!  Stash busting! Continue reading

I (heart) RED!!

The Monthly Stitch Challenge in February was “Miss Bossy” telling us what solid colour we must sew up.  Miss Bossy’s commands for me were:  yellow (which makes me look like the walking dead!), blue (which I love), or RED (which I really love).  So lucky me, Miss Bossy was surprisingly kind and told me I had to sew up RED in February!

The MAGAM Challenge in February was to “Frankenpattern” something for yourself!  Again, lucky me, I have had the perfect Frankenpattern idea in sitting in my pretty little head for a while now.

I wanted another knit cardigan like my blue one posted here, but I wanted it in RED (using my crepe knit in my stash) and I wanted to use view E and D of my Butterick B5789 pattern, specifically I wanted to use one side front of view E and one side front of view D.

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

My quick fix and I am really happy with it!

Yesterday’s post resulted in a lovely blue cardigan, McCall’s M6802 ….. that needed some improvement.

IMG_0728 IMG_0730

The pattern instructions suggest to leave the bottom and collar edge rough or to hem the bottom and collar edge up as usual.  The problem with that is the bottom hem continues up into the collar hem, which then flops around to show the wrong side of the hemming.  Something I do not like.

So I purchased some wide foldover broadcloth to cover the edges (it looked just like double fold bias tape) and some single fold bias tape to cover the inside seams that might show with movement.

image

They were so easy and quick to sew on!

image image

The finished look, beautiful edges and covered seams inside.image

Finished!  and I am really happy with it!  I think I shall wear it to work tomorrow!