My sister’s Designin’ December idea!

Yes, my sister, who isn’t fond of sewing (she loves to draw), asked me a few weeks ago  to make her a top.  No rush, no pressure, it would be great though if it was ready by the date of her husband’s Christmas party, this Saturday – which actually wasn’t a problem.

She had already purchased this GAP top, in grey, but she wanted another just like this in her favourite colour.  Easy! I could trace the grey one!

Continue reading

Finishing that friggin’ UFO … (Part 2)

I apologize for not posting sooner.  I did continue working on my Sister’s shirt/jacket during the last week, the final chapter of my Sister’s Sewing Projects, although I am sure she will eventually think of something else for me to do!  I am using Simplicity 5455, a pattern from 2003.  I started it here using two wonderful fabrics, a solid blue and a white “newsprint floral”, both made of 97% cotton and 3% spandex.  Things were rolling along nicely … until they came to a dead stop!  Why?

rt-1 Continue reading

Last weekend’s accomplishments.

Well there wasn’t much time for sewing, my sister came for a visit!  I had my pants finished in advance so that we could laze around all weekend.  Well, except for the 5 km walk/jog we did.  My two sisters and I did the CIBC Run for the Cure Sunday.  It wasn’t too hot and it wasn’t too cold and it was extremely uplifting to see all the participants and breast cancer survivors, some survivors announcing on their T shirts “18 years cancer free”.  Fabulous!

1297756500984_original

I was going to use my vintage pattern, Simplicity 8740, for my pants, then I realized that my pants sloper was pretty much the same type of pattern piece as the pants pattern and so, I used my sloper instead.  

il_570xn-1011169775_sjz3

The fabric was called “Aristocrat Solid”, 88% polyester and 12% spandex, with a soft drape – one of the fabrics I bought during my last trip to Vancouver. Continue reading

Ilona’s Future’s so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades!

I have certainly learned a lot cleaning up Ilona – my Singer 15-88.  As you know from this post my Mom has given me her and her sister’s Vintage Sewing Machines.  I even bought myself a small hammer and a screwdriver…  you know, one of those ones with a bunch of different attachments?  I took off all the parts that I dared, carefully photographing every step so that I would know how to put them all back together again.  I wiped down all the japanning (black paint) with Sewing Machine Oil (SMO).  Some areas I had to use diluted dish soap – the brown staining just wouldn’t come off.  Of course, I was also wearing gloves throughout as my hands get dry quickly.

For the chrome pieces I used Brasso.  As you can see, some of the pieces were dirtier than others.  I was warned to not let anything harsh, like Brasso, touch the decals (gold painted designs on the machine) – so it was much safer to completely remove the parts I wanted to clean with Brasso!

18 Continue reading

Finishing one, starting another…

Perhaps you remember this dress, from my Sister’s Sewing Projects, a vintage dress pattern from 1978, Simplicity 8510, which I first blogged about here.  I decided before I start anything new, I must finish the old projects …

This dress still needed its elastic waistband.  I found many ways to do that on line and in my reference books – I decided to make a casing for the elastic.  I cut a strip of the same fabric as the dress, and since it frays easily, I hemmed the edges with a zig zag.

imageI measured down from the arm holes on both sides, 8″ in this case, and I sewed the casing on and ran a length of elastic through.  I have left it open here so we can check the tightness or looseness of the elastic, then I will hand sew it closed.

image

image

I used this little gizmo to thread the elastic through the waist line casing.

Continue reading

…just sneaking one in here…

Our weather has been quite windy here and we have already lost power once (no TV, no internet, NO SEWING!) so I thought I would just sneak one in here now that the power has come back on – before it goes off again!

I was working on my Sewaholic Nicola.  I am using a fabric from my stash, 60% cotton/40% Tencel*, that I was saving for this dress.  This fabric is so soft, I think I am in love!

Continue reading

It’s Done! Well almost…

My sister will be happy, another garment has been (almost) finished in what I’m calling my Sister’s Sewing Projects.

This one is a vintage pattern from 1978, Simplicity 8510. It must be a favourite of my sister’s for her to keep it safe all this time. The fabric is a similar beige as in the pattern photo, linen-like, 70% polyester, 30% rayon.

Continue reading

Two of the “Oldest UFOs” in the World!

Yes, I promised you.  Here is it.

A while ago, I bought two jacket patterns and some lovely red polyester knit, not too stretchy, and a green embossed polyester.  At least I think they are polyester – I can’t even remember where or when I bought them, let alone anything else about them.  But I loved those fabrics and the chosen patterns would be perfect for what I wanted.

image

image

Continue reading