Last weekend’s accomplishments.

Well there wasn’t much time for sewing, my sister came for a visit!  I had my pants finished in advance so that we could laze around all weekend.  Well, except for the 5 km walk/jog we did.  My two sisters and I did the CIBC Run for the Cure Sunday.  It wasn’t too hot and it wasn’t too cold and it was extremely uplifting to see all the participants and breast cancer survivors, some survivors announcing on their T shirts “18 years cancer free”.  Fabulous!

1297756500984_original

I was going to use my vintage pattern, Simplicity 8740, for my pants, then I realized that my pants sloper was pretty much the same type of pattern piece as the pants pattern and so, I used my sloper instead.  

il_570xn-1011169775_sjz3

The fabric was called “Aristocrat Solid”, 88% polyester and 12% spandex, with a soft drape – one of the fabrics I bought during my last trip to Vancouver. Continue reading

More on my denim skirt…

Hello all, me again.  I’ve had a couple of “distractions” over the last week therefore I haven’t quite finished my denim skirt, but I thought I would show you what I have accomplished so far – and perhaps this week you might even get a laugh out of it!

I started my denim skirt by cutting out a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt pattern here and making my back pockets, and doing my topstitching and flat felled seams here.

Now it is time to sew my jeans fly front.  My one side is interfaced, double fold bias tape is sewn on the rough edge and the piece is sewn on to my left side front (if I am looking at the skirt).  The interfacing will never show as this piece is folded over to the inside.

image Continue reading

DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER! Speechless

Just Speechless…  Tonight for DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER I have the pleasure of introducing the one and only Mads of Life in A “Mads” House.  Mads might have come to her design in a roundabout way but she has made a lovely copy of this designer dress by Elie Saab.

es-2

Continue reading

The “Snake skin”.

… or “What I did on my summer vacation (Part I)”.

I managed to get in a bit of sewing while on vacation.  I finished the third skirt of my Sister’s Sewing Projects.  I offered to sew up for my sister three skirts and three dresses AND the dress she is going to be wearing to her son’s wedding, her MOG dress!  I love having the distraction from my own sewing projects and it is fun to work with the lovely fabrics and patterns that she has picked!
Continue reading

Picasso’s flowers.

This is my second garment in my Sister’s Sewing Projects.  A skirt we call Picasso’s flowers.  When you plan on making three skirts and four dresses for you sister, you better be really organized – patterns, fabrics, notions, etc. – so from the start we gave all the fabrics names.  Now although this 100% polyester fabric is quite lovely, it is out-shined by the real Master …

Petit Fleurs by Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973

Continue reading

The Clark Gable

Hello!  This is the first of my “Sister’s Sewing Projects”.  In the past, I haven’t named the clothes I made, but each of the garments in this project has definitely earned a name.  I remember going through the fabric shops with my sister.  We spent hours holding up bolts of fabric, wrinkling them, matching them with others, dragging them around the store – the whole time saying things like “Do you like this one or the Clark Gable?”  “What about the Wizard of Oz?”  And on and on.  So, these garments will have names!

To start, “Dolly” had to have some adjustments to mirror my sister’s measurements.  Perhaps I should just call Dolly “Petunia” now?

I used a pattern my sister has been using since 1989, McCall’s 4408 – a vintage pattern – and the Clark Gable fabric, a 100% cotton.

Continue reading

Salvage operations…

After sewing my Motor City Express jacket for possibly the whole of last month, I decided to tackle the small projects lying around next.  Mending, shortening Mr. G.T.’s shirt sleeves from long to elbow length, and salvaging a few garments that I have made but don’t wear.  Like many I have had a few Me Mades that turned out perfectly fine, BUT were not perfectly fine on me. Continue reading

It’s better with interfacing.

As you might remember, I have been working on my Motor City Express Jacket, which I started here and here.  I received this pattern when I purchased the Craftsy course “Sew Better, Sew Faster: Smart Construction“.  (I just love it when the courses I want go on sale!)  I am so looking forward to wearing my finished jacket soon!  (When our temperatures cool down though – it was terribly hot again Saturday afternoon – 90F or 32C – we are just not used to that!)

Last week, another Linda (of Remake Remodel Recycle) was mentioning in the comments section of my post about using interfacing to put the pattern markings on as I was having difficulty marking my fabric.  I couldn’t stop wondering about the lack of instruction in this pattern regarding the use of interfacing on the pocket openings.  The pattern instructed to use interfacing around the neck and arm openings and the hem, etc., but not the pocket openings, which I was something I wasn’t used to.  Maybe I was missing something.   Continue reading

ALL DONE!

Seriously!  MY. JEANS. ARE. ALL. DONE!

I haven’t had too much trouble finishing them off and I love the look and fit of the cotton lycra fabric.  I pieced them together with these patterns:  Vogue V2948 and  Vogue V8774, along with watching these Craftsy courses:  Angela Wolf’s Sewing Designer Jeans and Sandra Betzina’s Pant Fitting Techniques.  If you wish to see my previous steps for assembling my black denim Capris jeans and these blue denim jeans, check them out here, here, here, and here.

While making my jeans, I loved distressing the jeans fabric and applying jeans buttons and rivets.  So much so that I am now going to keep an eye out for jet black cotton lycra denim for my third pair of jeans!   Continue reading