This is my second garment in my Sister’s Sewing Projects. A skirt we call Picasso’s flowers. When you plan on making three skirts and four dresses for you sister, you better be really organized – patterns, fabrics, notions, etc. – so from the start we gave all the fabrics names. Now although this 100% polyester fabric is quite lovely, it is out-shined by the real Master …
My sister asked that I use her favourite skirt pattern, McCall’s 4408, a 1989 vintage pattern.
I did the box pleats as usual, carefully measuring and folding the fabric.
My sister asked for an elastic waistband in the back only and she wanted two rows of narrow elastic, not one row of wide elastic. This time I thought of a different method than the last skirt. I sewed the waistband front and back together and on to the skirt as usual and folded it to the inside.
I edge stitched the waistband all the way around the top edge, both front and back, with my blind hem foot, and I sewed one row in the middle of the waistband on the back piece for the first casing.
I edge stitched again on the bottom of the back waistband piece to complete the second casing.
The two narrow elastics were pulled through their back casings and secured with safety pins to the front waistband (which was still open) and then the elastic ends were sewed down along the side seams.
I then sewed the front waistband down at the bottom edge and my waistband is done.
I love that this skirt has hidden side pockets!
And… Petunia (oh! I mean my sister) has another new skirt! Two skirts down and one to go – “The Snakeskin” is the next one.
Well, I’m on vacation now so I probably won’t be posting until perhaps the first weekend in September – lots of visiting family and having them visit us, YIPEE! I’m going to perhaps do some blog maintenance too. Hopefully I don’t mess anything up and lose you… or you lose me! Please keep posting as I would love to have something to read during those quiet times in my days!