Last weekend started out as a busy weekend and turned into a challenging week, but let me show you what I did!
I am still working on my sister’s dress – part of my “Sister’s Sewing Project”. She would like this dress, in this 100% cotton border print and I am using this pattern, Butterick B6089 (sorry for the flash glare).
It started off bad. I wanted a dress like my mom and aunt. I wanted it out of this fabric (100% Rayon, which I love) and I thought I could alter this pattern to what I wanted. That’s when my problems started. If you missed it, you can read about it here.
So forget about the dress! I managed to salvage as much of the fabric as I could and I made a top instead. Continue reading
I started this dress last week (read the prequel right here). I love this pattern. It’s a remake of a classic dress pattern, Butterick B5920 “Retro ’51”. Comfortable and easy to make. The fabric is lightweight and soft, an Ellena Rayon Twill Print, 100% Rayon. I even found the perfect buttons for my fabric.
Now I did make some changes – no heart shaped pockets on the chest, no waspish waist, no corset, no crinoline.
One important change for anyone wanting to try this pattern for themselves – I made the sleeve-less version but the shoulders seemed too long at the top seam. I actually cut the armholes to a gradual inch shorter at the top shoulder point. If I am making a sleeve-less top – it’s going to show all of my arms! Continue reading
Last week I cut out my Hunter Green Chevron knit fabric (85% polyester and 15% rayon) and a white linen-look fabric from my stash (actually a fabric given to me, along with a few others, by a friend) to make my first reversible garment. I put a lot of thought into cutting out this Chevron fabric as you can read about here – matching it up the best I could. I used Butterick 5789 a cardigan pattern that I have used before here. I really like this pattern and all its versions. This time I wanted to make view B – it has only two pattern pieces and I was short on fabrics.
At one point, the instructions for this view made me think: What the heck are you talking about? It was easier for me to do what the diagrams said, than the words… sew the two end tabs together, then spread it open across the back and sew those together. (the words still don’t make sense to me!)
A while ago I purchased two fabrics – both 85% polyester and 15% rayon knits – a Chevron pattern, one a Hunter Green and one a Red. Just on a whim. These fabrics spread out are a bit overwhelming for my taste – but they were too beautiful to resist. I had to figure out what I was going to make with them.
I thought I would make a cardigan with one, perhaps the darker one, and a skirt … or culottes … or a skirt … or culottes … with the brighter one.
My favourite cardigan pattern is Butterick B5789. I’ve made my red one successfully before here. Now just to be brave and try new things, this time, I thought I would try making a cardigan that was reversible. The green Chevron pattern on one side and a white linen look on the other. That way if I didn’t feel bold I could wear the Chevron fabric on the inside, just peeking out, and if I was feeling BOLD then I could wear the Chevron fabric on the outside. I thank my friend, Nadine, for giving me the white linen looking fabric (and quite a few others!).
For as long as I can remember, I have been sewing in my invisible zippers with a Singer Zipper foot that fits on my Janome sewing machine (below right). It bounces around a bit, but it’s ok. A few months ago I purchased this “Unique” brand package. A plastic Zipper Foot with a variety of shanks to fit any machine – supposedly useful for sewing in invisible zippers! Sorry… I found using my Singer Zipper foot to be more accurate.
I recently decided that it was time to splurge. After searching for a Janome Invisible Zipper foot – only to discover there was no such thing – I found a Janome Concealed Zipper foot… and I bought it, despite it’s silly name!
Well, I had plans. I had plans to use this beautiful fabric (100% rayon Batik) with my Butterick Retro dress pattern B5920. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough fabric. No matter how much I measured and twisted and turned the pattern pieces, I just didn’t have enough fabric.
needle with a tiger – A pinstripe!
What do you get when you cross a bodice pattern block, a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt and a vintage Butterick pattern? Let me show you!
In the ’80s I remember having a red polyester knit dress – similar to the one here without a collar. I loved it!
I decided to make another one for myself using this Butterick pattern and this knit fabric. I’m not sure what its content is – I just found it in my stash. I love the print. Is this paisley or floral – or paisley floral? or floral paisley? Continue reading
I love starting the year off with #JungleJanuary at Pretty Grievances! (Above image property of Pretty Grievances.) I usually don’t add jungle prints to my fabric stash, but I am always inspired by Jungle January. This year I have found two fabrics – one being a black & blue Ocelot. It’s called a Harmony Jacquard, 58% cotton, 37% polyester, 5% spandex. It is a thick soft fabric, warm for when the office gets too cool. The fabric might be to soft for the pattern I am using but I love the blue! I decided to pull out my untried Sewaholic Davie dress. I like the size range of Sewaholic patterns and they always fit me well. This pattern has cap sleeves though so if I sew it up as is, I will have to keep a sweater handy to keep my arms warm.
I love the blue – the camera picked up the fabric’s true colours.
Over the last few weeks I’ve had a lot of non-sewing time which I just couldn’t tolerate. To pacify myself, I spent my spare time reading sewing blogs – a lot of them had their roundups of last year.
It made me think about what I liked, didn’t, and still wanna do with my sewing.
So for my first post of the new year, let’s keep it simple! Continue reading