I am almost finished my #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap dress, which you might have read about last week. Due to some careful pattern/stripe matching I am happy with how things are turning out.
This Sewaholic pattern, the Yaletown, has been a joy to work with. This is my second Yaltetown, my first one was made with a woven fabric, not a knit. So second time around, sewing it up has gone pretty smoothly. The only changes I made to this pattern, just like the first time it was made, was to make the bodice slightly larger as I love the loose, comfortable feel of it. I also lengthened the bodice just an inch.
I’m not sure how it happened but I did manage to have a closely matching thread in my stash!
Perhaps you remember from last week that I asked for some help in choosing my fabric for the #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap Dress Challenge? Well I have my answer now, thank you Kind Readers! It was a pretty close race!
First choice, although it was close, was … the blue Chevron! (for lack or a better description)
Second choice by just 3 votes was … the orange Chevron!
So I have decided to sew both fabrics up … with few slight changes …
We had a lovely Easter long weekend here – the weather was even acceptable! I hope you had a lovely Easter too.
I didn’t get much accomplished though, but I did manage to browse through some sewing blogs and IG feeds. I discovered @rocco.sienna @sewsarahsmith and @sewing_in_spain have organized #sewtogetherforsummer on IG again! I think this year I’m going to organize myself and my sewing and join in!
Last year the theme for #sewtogetherforsummer was Shirt dresses. I didn’t manage to sew up a Shirt dress, but I have been collecting Shirt dress patterns ever since.
I also managed to recently buy some lovely Shirt dress fabric, 3 meters of 100% rayon. I’m one step closer!
This year I am not missing #sewtogetherforsummer. If you would like to read more about #sewtogetherforsummer you can check out all the details here, but basically:
a. I have to sew a Wrap dress; and
b. by June 21st, I have post it on Instagram, tagging and following properly, of course.
I’ve had this striped fabric in my stash since my visit to my sister a summer or two ago. It’s a heavier weight knit than what I usually have and I quite like it. The red stripe is quite bright too, which brings the grey, blue and black to life for me.
I had always planned to make this skirt, Vogue 1292, a “Today’s Fit” by Sandra Betzina, and I purchased this striped fabric for that sole purpose.
But you might already know from personal experience how easy it is to get led astray by fabrics and patterns. Continue reading
… and I found the perfect buttons for my last project. But before I show them to you, let me show you what I made with the remnants of my paisley Topaz knit. I had some of this lovely fabric – 85% polyester, 10% rayon, 5% spandex – left over, just enough. I think I have made a few of these McCall’s M7093 tops before – one of the other ones I made is here.
Last week I cut out my Hunter Green Chevron knit fabric (85% polyester and 15% rayon) and a white linen-look fabric from my stash (actually a fabric given to me, along with a few others, by a friend) to make my first reversible garment. I put a lot of thought into cutting out this Chevron fabric as you can read about here – matching it up the best I could. I used Butterick 5789 a cardigan pattern that I have used before here. I really like this pattern and all its versions. This time I wanted to make view B – it has only two pattern pieces and I was short on fabrics.
At one point, the instructions for this view made me think: What the heck are you talking about? It was easier for me to do what the diagrams said, than the words… sew the two end tabs together, then spread it open across the back and sew those together. (the words still don’t make sense to me!)
Perhaps you remember? I wanted to make a shrug to match this dress…
Then my eyes fell on this cardigan. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the pattern envelope and found out it was a circle with sleeves. I have seen these patterns on Pinterest (for free). This is going to be easy!
McCall’s “Learn to Sew for Fun” pattern M7055
I cut out my two pattern pieces from some black ponte knit in my fabric stash.
I had to chase Sophie away the whole time!
Technically speaking, it is still Jungle January here. Hop on over to Pretty Grievances to see all the WILD garments that she has rounded up! In the last few waking hours of the day I would like to show you my second Jungle January garment – something that I am very happy with… even if I got off to a bad start. Let’s just say that I still haven’t learned the lesson: Read the instructions first!
I have this pattern, Vogue V9107, which is not meant for knits, but who am I to follow the fabric recommendations! (Surprisingly enough, this time it worked!) I decided to make view A, the top.
I am making progress! I have needed new pants in my wardrobe for a while now, but since I signed up for the RTW Challenge last January, I have refused to purchase any. There has been a lot of sewing this year – thoughtful sewing!
To start the pants-making process, I made my muslin, and then my first pair, my brown pair with the invisible zipper. Time to move on to my 2nd pair. I used a black 100% polyester that I was unsure would be suitable for pants, especially this pattern with its zipper and many seams, so I considered this pair might be another muslin – a stretchy knit muslin.
Hello again! Here I am! The real thing!
My RTW Fast year is close to ending and I am still filling in the gaps in my handmade wardrobe. There is still time left to sew up some pants for myself though – I would love to have a pair of black, blue and brown pants suitable for work.
So to recap… You’ve seen my pattern, Vogue V2948. It has princess seams front and back and a curved waistband. It is fantastic for alterations…