My sister suggested I use mistletoe as a prop in my next blog photo session. Sorry sis, I have no mistletoe, but I do have a Christmas tree and my finished DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER Copy!
I decided in the beginning of the year that I wanted to copy this Designer Original top.
and this Designer Original skirt.
I haven’t got any photos yet. Sorry! 😦
I just finished hand sewing and ironing my top and my skirt but I’m not going to have a chance to take photos for a couple of days. I’m going out of town again. But I promise as soon as I get back I will take some photos and post them!
I did manage to get some gift bags finished since we last spoke. The first was a taller bigger gift bag. Continue reading
I have been sewing my DESIGNIN’ DECEMBER copies and now that I have finished my top, I thought it was time I checked in with you. You already know I want to make this Designer Original bell-sleeved top by Ellery Neu.
I’m using McCall’s M6896, view E. I adjusted the pattern a few weeks ago to make the sleeves bell-shaped. Now after finishing most of the sewing, I have decided, Yes, I do want the small slit in the front that is part of view E. Copying the Ellery Neu top exactly made me feel strangled by the high neckline.
and there are strange goings on in our hotel room…
I spent last weekend out of town, with one night in a hotel, with nothing to keep me occupied. Well, nothing except my 1952 Singer Featherweight 221, or “Winnie” for short. (If you would like to learn how I acquired Winnie and all her deets, just check out this post.)
Last week I cut out my Hunter Green Chevron knit fabric (85% polyester and 15% rayon) and a white linen-look fabric from my stash (actually a fabric given to me, along with a few others, by a friend) to make my first reversible garment. I put a lot of thought into cutting out this Chevron fabric as you can read about here – matching it up the best I could. I used Butterick 5789 a cardigan pattern that I have used before here. I really like this pattern and all its versions. This time I wanted to make view B – it has only two pattern pieces and I was short on fabrics.
At one point, the instructions for this view made me think: What the heck are you talking about? It was easier for me to do what the diagrams said, than the words… sew the two end tabs together, then spread it open across the back and sew those together. (the words still don’t make sense to me!)
Sorry… But this is not the first time I have been shaking my head at a pattern envelope or PDF. This time it is McCall’s M7169. I love the photo and diagrams. This is another garment in my “Sister’s Sewing Projects“.
Let me start with… I love my sister’s fabric choices! Both fabrics are cotton with a hint of spandex – for those days when chocolate or cheesecake are required. The brown flowers are so abstract up close and so clear from far away.
Ok, maybe I’m over reacting, but chocolate was required in order for me to finish this dress properly.
Happily you do not have to do much fitting when making a bag for your sister. A while ago I posted on Instagram this photo – asking “What do you think my next project will be”. There are some clever sewists out there that guessed the answer correctly. (Sorry, no prize for the winner!)
My sister wanted a bag that was 5″ deep, 11″ wide and 8.5″ tall. No pattern? No problem! Then she let me run with the idea – and so was born the “TA-DA BAG“!
First I drew out my pattern pieces and taped them together to get an idea on the size.
Well there wasn’t much time for sewing, my sister came for a visit! I had my pants finished in advance so that we could laze around all weekend. Well, except for the 5 km walk/jog we did. My two sisters and I did the CIBC Run for the Cure Sunday. It wasn’t too hot and it wasn’t too cold and it was extremely uplifting to see all the participants and breast cancer survivors, some survivors announcing on their T shirts “18 years cancer free”. Fabulous!
I was going to use my vintage pattern, Simplicity 8740, for my pants, then I realized that my pants sloper was pretty much the same type of pattern piece as the pants pattern and so, I used my sloper instead.
The fabric was called “Aristocrat Solid”, 88% polyester and 12% spandex, with a soft drape – one of the fabrics I bought during my last trip to Vancouver. Continue reading
Perhaps you remember my denim skirt? I spent a couple of days trying to decide whether to sew on the back pockets, or not. Well, I have found a perfect place for them!
A while ago, I found the FREE pdf pattern from By Hand London, the Polly Top. I knew it would be perfect for the leftover fabric I end up with occasionally… and I certainly had some left when I finished my denim skirt.
Does anyone else piece together pdf patterns the same as me? I always seem to piece together one pattern piece at a time and then immediately cut it out. I guess I feel like I am accomplishing something that way? Here you can see my first piece taking shape – like putting a puzzle together.
A friend has asked if I can make her a Boho/peasant skirt similar to one she owns already. No problem, happy to assist… it just might cost you a few
“mike’s Hard Black Cherry Lemonade” beverages though!
C.P. (let’s call her that) has done her research and came equipped with instructions she has found on the internet and a large piece of paisley (I love paisley!) and two large pieces of denim fabric. Both fabrics had a similar feel of a medium weight denim so they would drape together well. The instructions that C.P. had found on the internet gave you a wonderful little “tier calculator” to predetermine the correct length and width of each tier. All you had to do was enter in the widest measurement on your lower body (waist, hip, whatever), press calculate and all the math was done for you. The free pattern and tier calculator is here if you are interested.