I’m am going to start off by apologizing… this post just might be photo-heavy, but don’t worry that won’t strop me from talking too much!
I am so happy! I have finished my denim skirt – finally! It has been a slow process, but for the most part, enjoyable. I loved all the different techniques involved and I was pleased that I could turn my favourite pattern, a Sewaholic Hollyburn, into a denim skirt. If you missed some of the posts, I worked on sewing and topstitching the back pockets and the flat felled seams here; I sewed the fly front, front pockets, faux flat felled seams and belt loops here; and I pretty much spent this whole post here agonizing over whether to sew on my back pockets or not!
But before I get all bent out of shape over the back pockets again, let me show you one of my favourite sewing tools – The Hammer. Perfect for attaching jeans buttons and rivets and letting go of all that stress bottled up inside you! Continue reading
For as long as I can remember, I have been sewing in my invisible zippers with a Singer Zipper foot that fits on my Janome sewing machine (below right). It bounces around a bit, but it’s ok. A few months ago I purchased this “Unique” brand package. A plastic Zipper Foot with a variety of shanks to fit any machine – supposedly useful for sewing in invisible zippers! Sorry… I found using my Singer Zipper foot to be more accurate.
I recently decided that it was time to splurge. After searching for a Janome Invisible Zipper foot – only to discover there was no such thing – I found a Janome Concealed Zipper foot… and I bought it, despite it’s silly name!
The weather today was so changeable, I sat here this morning trying to decide if I should put the laundry on the clothes line… or take photos for my blog. What should I do?
You might remember last post I was fighting to make my dress pattern work with my fabric and my body. That pattern lost. This pattern, on the other hand, McCall’s M6840 was a winner. I made view B but with short sleeves. Short sleeves since the fabric is so summery – but also after salvaging the fabric out of the almost completed dress, I didn’t have enough pieces left that were large enough to make long sleeves!
I am sure you have already met my two buddies – Simon (The Grey) and Sophie (The Skittish).
As you can see, The Cats pretty much took over our old couch. So when we purchased a new one, I knew The Cat’s old habits would be very difficult to break, but I didn’t want my new couch to be destroyed neither! Continue reading
needle with a tiger – A pinstripe!
What do you get when you cross a bodice pattern block, a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt and a vintage Butterick pattern? Let me show you!
In the ’80s I remember having a red polyester knit dress – similar to the one here without a collar. I loved it!
I decided to make another one for myself using this Butterick pattern and this knit fabric. I’m not sure what its content is – I just found it in my stash. I love the print. Is this paisley or floral – or paisley floral? or floral paisley? Continue reading
I promised you photos of my finished Sewaholic Nicola. I was lucky! The weather was pretty good today and I was able to model it outside!
Perhaps you remember from my previous post a few of the details… I used a cotton/Tencel fabric, similar to jean fabric but much lighter and “glossier”. I found the buttons in my stash, lovely gold coloured metal ones with a little crest on on them. My stash has actually tripled because my sister brought me more sewing supplies and notions that a friend of her’s didn’t need anymore. I love making a new dress without even having to enter a fabric shop!
Like the collar and the neckline?
Or the lace channel for running the self tie belt through?
Now here are some quick shots of the whole works!
I’ve already cut out my next project! What are you working on?
My sister will be happy, another garment has been (almost) finished in what I’m calling my Sister’s Sewing Projects.
This one is a vintage pattern from 1978, Simplicity 8510. It must be a favourite of my sister’s for her to keep it safe all this time. The fabric is a similar beige as in the pattern photo, linen-like, 70% polyester, 30% rayon.
I thought I would show you what I have been up to this past week. I have finally finished my black cardigan, McCall’s M7055. A McCall’s “Learn to Sew for Fun” pattern. When I opened the pattern envelope, I was surprised to find it was nothing but a CIRCLE with sleeves!
Technically speaking, it is still Jungle January here. Hop on over to Pretty Grievances to see all the WILD garments that she has rounded up! In the last few waking hours of the day I would like to show you my second Jungle January garment – something that I am very happy with… even if I got off to a bad start. Let’s just say that I still haven’t learned the lesson: Read the instructions first!
I have this pattern, Vogue V9107, which is not meant for knits, but who am I to follow the fabric recommendations! (Surprisingly enough, this time it worked!) I decided to make view A, the top.
I love starting the year off with #JungleJanuary at Pretty Grievances! (Above image property of Pretty Grievances.) I usually don’t add jungle prints to my fabric stash, but I am always inspired by Jungle January. This year I have found two fabrics – one being a black & blue Ocelot. It’s called a Harmony Jacquard, 58% cotton, 37% polyester, 5% spandex. It is a thick soft fabric, warm for when the office gets too cool. The fabric might be to soft for the pattern I am using but I love the blue! I decided to pull out my untried Sewaholic Davie dress. I like the size range of Sewaholic patterns and they always fit me well. This pattern has cap sleeves though so if I sew it up as is, I will have to keep a sweater handy to keep my arms warm.
I love the blue – the camera picked up the fabric’s true colours.