I’m done! Just in time for the sunshine too! This was an easy pattern to make. I love it! I’ve made a Sewaholic Yaletown before here. It was even easier this time as I already had the pieces traced and was very familiar with the pattern. So when @rocco.sienna, @sewsarahsmith and @sewing_in_spain announced their Instagram #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap Dress Challenge this year I was happy to make another Yaletown Wrap Dress.
I made sure I cut and matched my stripes/Chevron print carefully – pinning each stripe every few inches.
I am almost finished my #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap dress, which you might have read about last week. Due to some careful pattern/stripe matching I am happy with how things are turning out.
This Sewaholic pattern, the Yaletown, has been a joy to work with. This is my second Yaltetown, my first one was made with a woven fabric, not a knit. So second time around, sewing it up has gone pretty smoothly. The only changes I made to this pattern, just like the first time it was made, was to make the bodice slightly larger as I love the loose, comfortable feel of it. I also lengthened the bodice just an inch.
I’m not sure how it happened but I did manage to have a closely matching thread in my stash!
Perhaps you remember from last week that I asked for some help in choosing my fabric for the #sewtogetherforsummer Wrap Dress Challenge? Well I have my answer now, thank you Kind Readers! It was a pretty close race!
First choice, although it was close, was … the blue Chevron! (for lack or a better description)
Second choice by just 3 votes was … the orange Chevron!
So I have decided to sew both fabrics up … with few slight changes …
We had a lovely Easter long weekend here – the weather was even acceptable! I hope you had a lovely Easter too.
I didn’t get much accomplished though, but I did manage to browse through some sewing blogs and IG feeds. I discovered @rocco.sienna @sewsarahsmith and @sewing_in_spain have organized #sewtogetherforsummer on IG again! I think this year I’m going to organize myself and my sewing and join in!
Last year the theme for #sewtogetherforsummer was Shirt dresses. I didn’t manage to sew up a Shirt dress, but I have been collecting Shirt dress patterns ever since.
I also managed to recently buy some lovely Shirt dress fabric, 3 meters of 100% rayon. I’m one step closer!
This year I am not missing #sewtogetherforsummer. If you would like to read more about #sewtogetherforsummer you can check out all the details here, but basically:
a. I have to sew a Wrap dress; and
b. by June 21st, I have post it on Instagram, tagging and following properly, of course.
I started this dress last week (read the prequel right here). I love this pattern. It’s a remake of a classic dress pattern, Butterick B5920 “Retro ’51”. Comfortable and easy to make. The fabric is lightweight and soft, an Ellena Rayon Twill Print, 100% Rayon. I even found the perfect buttons for my fabric.
Now I did make some changes – no heart shaped pockets on the chest, no waspish waist, no corset, no crinoline.
One important change for anyone wanting to try this pattern for themselves – I made the sleeve-less version but the shoulders seemed too long at the top seam. I actually cut the armholes to a gradual inch shorter at the top shoulder point. If I am making a sleeve-less top – it’s going to show all of my arms! Continue reading