When is a Sewaholic Hollyburn, not a Sewaholic Hollyburn?

Perhaps, when you almost don’t have enough fabric to finish it!

I’ve been bustin’ through my stash and so far, have made a flowered vintage dress and a red Sewaholic Hollyburn.  Next I thought I would make a black Sewaholic Hollyburn – you can see the link to the pattern company here:  Sewaholic Hollyburn.  I found some black in my fabric stash, a polyester, but not a stretchy knit.  I’m not too sure exactly what it is.  As I was cutting out my fabric, I realized that I didn’t really have enough black fabric for the two wide skirt pieces.  My fabric remanent was too narrow.

So let’s give this a try… I made a 4 panel skirt into a 6 panel skirt.   Continue reading

A Sewaholic Hollyburn… and the Evils of having a Fabric Stash!

It’s Indie Pattern Month at the Monthly Stitch.  As is my tradition, this is the month that I dive into the Indie Patterns that I have collected over the last year.  I have always wanted to try Sewaholic’s Hollyburn skirt but was always looking for the right fabric.  Me Made May showed me that I do not have a solid red skirt and I have so many tops I could wear with one, so I decided to put the two ideas together. Continue reading

A Tale of Four Tees – Last but not Least!

Tonight I am catching up on my TNT Tee Contest posts and I wish to show you my last Tee, the 4th.  I have my Tee #1 here, and Tee #2 here and here is Tee #3.  You already know that this is my 4th make with my Butterick pattern – B5988.  With this one I made cap sleeves – according to the instructions even!

I found a lovely fabric in my stash.  I don’t have the faintest idea what it was though… I assume it was some kind of polyester.  It sure hangs nicely and was very easy to sew.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

I do love how the cap sleeves were put together.  My patterned fabric and my solid black fabric were placed right sides together and sewed together at the bottom hem, then turned right side out, pressed and top stitched.  Then the cap sleeve was sewed into the armhole.  It made a neat finish.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

A Tale of Four Tees – #3

I finished Patternreview’s TNT Tee Contest.  My 4 Tees are done, submitted to Patternreview, now I can finish posting about them here.  I have my Tee #1 here, and my Tee #2 here and here is my Tee #3….  I am still using my Butterick pattern B5988, although this time I have stuck to the instructions (how so unlike me!) for view B.

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

A Tale of Four Tees – #2

Today I have for you my #2 Tee for Patternreview’s August TNT Tee Contest.  I have used the very same pattern as my #1 Tee posted here, Butterick B5988, view B.  This time my fabric is a 96% polyester, 4% spandex ITY knit and it feels very comfy!

Nice dress!  Thanks, I made it!!

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

Reading Sewing Blogs is Good for my Health!

or “A Tale of Four Tees – #1”

Again we are well into another month and I am well into another challenge.  This month it is PatternReview’s turn.  I have signed up for their TNT (tried and true) Tee Contest. I am to use one pattern and make four Tee shirts out knit fabrics.  I can alter my pattern any way I like but I am to use the same Tee shirt pattern for the base.

I am going to make my Tee #1 sleeveless and I am shifting the front and back bodice pieces 1.5 inches off the centre fold of my fabric at the neckline, so that I can gather the neck and hopefully get a sort of drapey/flowing feel to the Tee.

This is my original Tee shirt pattern, Butterick B5988, view B is my inspiration.

Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!

Continue reading

First indecision, then certainty!

It’s time to show you my finished dress that I started posting about here!  I missed the deadline for The Monthly Stitch, but I was able to enter my dress in Patternreview’s Pattern Stash contest.  Don’t you just love sewing under pressure?

I used an old pattern from my stash – Butterick B4598.  I cannot find it on the Butterick website, it must be old.  I chose the view with the round neckline and the short sleeves, then I took more liberties with the pattern (surprise, surprise).  I didn’t have any linen in my stash so I used a black and white Barcelona (95% polyester and 5% spandex) and a black Ponte de Roma (72% polyester and 28% rayon).  The polyester/rayon didn’t have as much stretch as the polyester/spandex, but they looked well together.

I have gotten into the habit of writing down the name, fabric content and cleaning instructions when I buy fabric.  After spending almost all my life roaming through fabric stores and dragging my hand over the material to decide what I wanted, I am not comfortable with buying on-line.  It’s very difficult to touch the fabric on-line!  So, if I have an idea what a Ponte de Roma (72% polyester and 28% rayon) feels and hangs like because I have bought it before and still have a sample and notes on it, I will be happy to buy something similar on-line in the future!

Continue reading