Over the last few weeks I’ve had a lot of non-sewing time which I just couldn’t tolerate. To pacify myself, I spent my spare time reading sewing blogs – a lot of them had their roundups of last year.
It made me think about what I liked, didn’t, and still wanna do with my sewing.
So for my first post of the new year, let’s keep it simple! Continue reading
It’s done! And I’m so pleased! For a while now, I have been eyeballing this outfit from Marina Hoermanseder. I just had to have it! Of course, it’s not my style to wear short shorts to work, so instead I opted for the longer look of wide pants, or culottes. Here’s Marina Hoermanseder’s ORIGINAL…
Honestly, why is BLACK so difficult to photograph? It must just suck in all the light around it! Anyway…
I have finished my 4th pair of pants, black ones, after spending extensive time with the muslin and making three pairs after that. I thought my blue pair was my favourite – best fitting and lovely fabric. Those were made with Horizon Suiting, 100% polyester. (I actually managed to find and buy more Horizon Suiting in a Navy Blue colour. Whoopie!) I think these black pants have taken their place though. Although in trying to photograph the black, that might not come across!
Perhaps you remember my “Sister’s Sewing Projects“, so far I have made three skirts. I have a Mother of the Groom dress half-finished and three other dresses to cut out yet – the Mother of the Groom dress is the most important, obviously!
I want to share with you the proper “model” photos of my sister wearing her skirts, as all I had previously was the photos with “Dolly” wearing them. (oops! She’s called “Petunia” when she’s got my sister’s measurements!) Continue reading
You know how it is. You finish a garment and there is something that is not quite right about it. So you put it aside for later… and there it sits.
Two weeks ago, I posted about my finished blue pants. The only problem is that I sewed the invisible zipper in too close and after I tried the pants on and zipped them up, the fabric got stuck in my zipper and I had to break the zipper to get them off again!
This is a lovely fabric (Blue Horizon Suiting, 100% polyester), a lovely pattern (Vogue V2948) and I’ve worked on the pants muslin to get a pretty good fit (Pant Fitting Techniques by Sandra Betzina). Now I have the added extra of A BROKEN ZIPPER! Continue reading
Yes, I promised you. Here is it.
A while ago, I bought two jacket patterns and some lovely red polyester knit, not too stretchy, and a green embossed polyester. At least I think they are polyester – I can’t even remember where or when I bought them, let alone anything else about them. But I loved those fabrics and the chosen patterns would be perfect for what I wanted.
The Good News … I’m feeling better, even though my nose doesn’t. I felt good enough to spend most of this weekend sewing. Yippee! You might remember, I left off with the slash pockets being completed on my third pair of pants (out of the four I want to make for myself). Gotta love that RTW Challenge and make ’em myself!
I have been using a couple of Craftsy courses: “Pant Fitting Techniques” by Sandra Betzina and “One pattern, Many Looks: Pants” by Kathy Ruddy; and Vogue pattern V2948. So far, I have made a muslin, a brown pair and a black pair. Now this blue pair, well, I just love the fabric. It’s called Blue Horizon Suiting, 100% polyester, with no stretch. It feels so much like an expensive suit pant fabric! And the colour is the perfect blue!
I am making progress! I have needed new pants in my wardrobe for a while now, but since I signed up for the RTW Challenge last January, I have refused to purchase any. There has been a lot of sewing this year – thoughtful sewing!
To start the pants-making process, I made my muslin, and then my first pair, my brown pair with the invisible zipper. Time to move on to my 2nd pair. I used a black 100% polyester that I was unsure would be suitable for pants, especially this pattern with its zipper and many seams, so I considered this pair might be another muslin – a stretchy knit muslin.
… just a hint … it involved a LOT of butt gazing!
The first (and last) time I sewed myself a pair of pants (trousers) was when I was in grade 8. It was a tunic top and hipster/bell bottom pants, sort of like this pattern, made of PINK 100% polyester (the heavy stuff).
Those pants either “goosed” me when I walked or gave me “plumber’s crack” when I sat down. I was at least lucky that the tunic top covered all my mistakes! Continue reading
… or “What I did on my summer vacation (Part I)”.
I managed to get in a bit of sewing while on vacation. I finished the third skirt of my Sister’s Sewing Projects. I offered to sew up for my sister three skirts and three dresses AND the dress she is going to be wearing to her son’s wedding, her MOG dress! I love having the distraction from my own sewing projects and it is fun to work with the lovely fabrics and patterns that she has picked!