I chose the RED print!

Continuing with my #makenine2019 Sewing Challenge, I changed my mind about the shirt pattern and blue print fabric that I was planning on using. Instead, I decided to try out IVIYE’s Adah Kaftan Top sewing pattern. Here’s the link if you’d like more details about the pattern, here.

I decided to go with the red print. It is fabulous! I even have some left over after cutting out this top!

The sleeves were the whole width of my fabric and I used a lot of gathers to attach the sleeve band.

The sleeve band wasn’t included in the original pattern but it was easy for me to make. The original pattern used elastic fed through the hem to make the gathers. I just wanted a looser sleeve. I cut a band double the width I wanted and long enough to go around my arm, plus seam allowances. I interfaced one half width of the sleeve band to make it a bit stiffer. I got a chance to use my “stitch in the ditch” foot (edge stitch foot) properly for a change! Usually I use it to make my topstitching uniform on my bag straps, etc. This was the first time in a long time I actually used it to hem up the sleeve band.

The sleeve head also had a lot of fabulous gathers.

Now the unfortunate thing is that the minute threads of the fabric easily get snagged (outlined in blue) so I’ll have to be careful with this top and anything else I make with this delicate fabric. I can’t remember what is the content of this fabric … I’ve had it so long in the fabric stash!

I kind of didn’t follow the instructions with respect to the neckline and the keyhole back opening. I like to have interfaced facings in my necklines and pieced something together. Next time I make this top, I just might make the neckline a bit lower.

My results! I love this red print. The pouffy sleeves are just fabulous! Next time perhaps a lower neckline, just a bit lower. I sure would like to make another top with these fabulous sleeves!

Summer is just around the corner and this top is ready for it! How about you? Are you sewing for summer now?

Happy Sewing!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

STASH BUSTING WITH THIS PROJECT? I used 1.3 metres making this top. My estimate in my fabric stash is now 117 metres.

18 thoughts on “I chose the RED print!

  1. It’s come out beautifully!

    1. Thank you! Maybe I shall try the blue print next 😁

  2. Love this colour on you, and why not do that blue as well?
    Go for it!

    1. I was just thinking that myself! Great idea! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

  3. I like the change on the sleeve cuff. I don’t like elastic around my arms, I always find it binding. This is a great change. The colour does look nice on you and I think your idea of a lower neck, as a second top idea, is great to give you a bit of variety. Another great job but you still have 117 meters left……pitter patter let’s get at ‘er.

    1. Hahaha 🤣 you’re a hoot! Yes I’m thinking about doing another one in the blue print now! 😂

  4. I love this on you! The sleeve length is perfect and that red is fabulous!

    1. Thank you! I love the red print too! I’m happy I have some left for another project!

  5. Your blouse looks lovely. That red is a good colour.

  6. Very nice top Linda and it looks stunning on you. I think Blue would also be smashing 🙂

    1. Thank you! I was happy to find this fabric. Thinking about something for the blue print now! ☺️

  7. Looks fabulous! What a gorgeous colour. And those are pouffy sleeves that look like they wouldn’t get in the way of everyday life, which is what normally puts me off that trend.

    1. Thank you! 😊 yes I agree. I don’t like being uncomfortable. These sleeves are just the right amount of fabric!

  8. Your blouse is perfect! 🙂 And the fabric beautiful!

  9. I love red. It’s a good idea.

Comments are closed.

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close