and I don’t even have a good reason why it took so long! Life just got in the way, I guess. But this skirt sat for three days waiting for one button. I suppose this is one reason why we have UFO’s (un finished objects).
I downloaded the PDF pattern from Dixie DIY – the Striped A Line Skirt pattern. It was pretty easy to put together. Here are some of the pieces for the skirt.
I had a light blue denim made of 70% Cotton 28% Polyester 2% Spandex. It’s comfortable, not stiff, and has a bit of stretch. I bought top stitching thread and a light weight zipper and then decided I wanted the thread lighter weight and the zipper to be a heavier jeans zipper.
First step was to sew together all the panels.
Then I decided to put the zip in the front and not the back, as the pattern instructed. So I made a single thickness placket for the left side, sewed it on and folded it under. I also sewed the zipper on the right side.
I made a double thickness placket for the right side, slipped it under my zipper and sewed it on.
I pinned the left side of my skirt to the left side of my zipper and the right placket (oops!) and then realized that I had just pinned my skirt shut. At least it helped me get the placement of the left side of my skirt to the left side of my zipper correct for sewing!
Sewn in properly!
Next top stitching. 1/4″ foot for one row of stitching.
Blind hem foot for the closer row of stitching. Remember to move your needle to the left of centre.
I love using these two feet for top stitching!
My skirt waits for its button now, and waits, and waits……
The offending button…..
And now, the finished front and back…..
Another happy FINISHED project!